Applications close twice a year on February 28 and August 31
To be eligible your child MUST have AT LEAST TWO severe orthodontic problems. Click here to see the problems.
Your child’s dentist, dental hygienist or dental therapist will need to complete a Dental Assessment Form to be able to tell you if your child is eligible to apply. Please be aware that if your child’s bite problem is so severe that it requires jaw surgery to correct, then your WFAS application will probably be declined, because of a lack of government funding for jaw surgery.
It can take up to six weeks to collect together all the information required for your application.
Click here to see the documents you will need for your application
- A letter from you (the child’s parent/guardian) explaining why you think your child would benefit from orthodontic treatment.
- A letter from your child telling us how having orthodontic treatment will make their life better.
- A letter from your child’s school principal, dean or teacher. This must be on a school letterhead. If your child is not at school, include a character reference from someone in the community who knows them well.
- A Personal Tax Summary (PTS) from IRD, for yourself and anyone else who contributes to your child’s care. You can either:
- Access your IRD personal tax summary online. Click here for directions on how to do this
- Ask the IRD or WINZ directly (it can take 4-6 weeks to arrive by mail)
- A photograph of your Community Services Card showing your name and number
- Photos of your child’s face and teeth. Click here for directions on how to take these photographs.
- A Dental Assessment Form completed by your child’s dentist, dental hygienist or dental therapist. Click here to download (your dentist may choose to submit this form online)
Once you have all of the required documents and photos click here to apply
To find out if your child is eligible
Take your child to their dentist, dental hygienist or dental therapist and ask then to complete this Dental Assessment Form – click here
If your child is eligible then you can
If you have an email address please fill out the forms online and upload the information required
If you DO NOT have an email address please apply by post
* You will receive confirmation from us once your application has been received
If your child is not eligible
Your application will be assessed by the Wish For A Smile National Selection Committee.
You will be sent an email within THREE months of the application round closing, advising whether or not your child has been accepted for the next stage of the selection process.
If your child is selected for the next stage
You will be asked to visit a local Wish For A Smile orthodontist who will examine your child’s teeth and take photographs and x-rays. (There is no charge for this visit or for the photographs and x-rays.)
The orthodontist will send the x-rays and photographs to the Wish For A Smile National Selection Committee
If your child is not selected for the next stage
Your child’s application, together with the photos and x-rays from the orthodontist will be reassessed by the National Selection Committee
If your child is selected for orthodontic treatment
Your child will receive their orthodontic treatment from a Wish For A Smile orthodontist in your area